Chronicle of the 2020 GENERAL ASSEMBLY
OMAEC ASSEMBLY 2020
As planned, the 2020 General Assembly was held on Saturday 28 November; for the first time the Online system was experienced, with a record participation.
Chaired by José Antonio Cecilia Ferrón and coordinated by the General Secretary José Ramón Batiste Peñaranda, with the moderation of the Vice President Angel Gudiña, it began punctually at 18.00 (Rome time), with a beautiful prayer prepared by the Ecclesiastical Assistant of the OMAEC, Monsignor Luis Argüello.
The Assembly was held in the three official languages of the OMAEC : French, English and Spanish.
The following member organizations participated:
– World Confederation of Don Bosco Alumni
– World Union of Lasallian Alumni/ae
– World Association of Sacred Heart Alumnae
– World Union of Jesuit Alumni/ae
– Continental Union Europe
– Continental Union America
– French Confederation Alumni/ae Catholic Education
– Italian Confederation Alumni/ae Catholic Education
– Spanish Confederation Alumni/ae Catholic Education
– Portuguese Confederation Alumni/ae Catholic Education
– Malta Federation of Alumni Catholic Education
– Argentine Confederation Alumni/ae Catholic Education
– Confederation Alumni/ae Catholic Education Peru
– Mexican Federation Alumni/ae Catholic Education
– Lebanese Federation Alumni/ae Catholic Education.
The participants include also the members of the Executive Board, 10 special guests as observers and the Correspondents from Panama, South Africa and Venezuela.
The activity and financial reports, concerning the period 2017 – 2020, were unanimously approved.
One of the most important points was the election of the new President of the OMAEC for 2020-2023; with a proposed program, two candidatures were presented:
ALFONSO GIRALDO (Colombia) alumnus of Salesian of Don Bosco
MAURIZIO BRUNI (Italy) alumnus of Salesian of Don Bosco
After the vote, Mr. ALFONSO GIRALDO SAAVEDRA was elected as the new president. He expressed his gratitude to all those present and promised to work immediately for OMAEC, especially in the growth of new National Confederations and to dedicate efforts to bring young alumni/ae closer together.
The Assembly approved granting the new President a period of 4 months to prepare and present a new Executive Council, to be approved by a new General Assembly to be held on Saturday 20 March 2021, at 6 p.m. (Rome time).
Monsignor Luis Arguello, Ecclesiastical Assistant of the OMAEC, Auxiliary Bishop of Valladolid and Secretary of the Spanish Episcopal Conference, invited us all to pray together and in the different languages, the Our Father, at the beginning of Advent, and gave his blessing.